Friday, August 10, 2007

In Everything Give Thanks

"In EVERYTHING give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus conerning you."
I Thessalonians 5:18

Does that mean EVERYTHING?? Why, yes. It does.
Does that mean EVEN THE STUFF THAT HURTS US?? Why yes, it does.

So, I decided to make a list of things I'm thankful for....including the "bad" ones:

  • My family -- it is so nice that we live so close together, because we won't always
  • My Mom -- she is such a caring, giving person
  • My Brother-In-Law -- even though he doesn't always use the most tact, I am pretty sure he is just trying to help me become a better person.....
  • The Migraines -- I have learned a lot about pain during the past couple of years. Having a severe headache or migraine every day can be trying....but, it feels sooo nice during the rare days I don't have any. I am also thankful that the Lord has allowed me to have them, so I can understand just a little bit about how people who live in severe, chronic pain feel.
  • The interviews that didn't work out, especially the one at Baptist Mid-Missions -- I am thankful that the Lord has a perfect plan for my life, and that He will provide the best job for me in His perfect timing.
  • The job I have now -- even though it is sooo tiring and tedious, it is what the Lord provided for me, and something is always better than nothing. AND it could be worse!
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY, I am thankful for my salvation!!! Wow -- it is so amazing! God sent his Son to die on the cross for ME! I certianly don't deserve that kind of love!! "Behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us....that we should be called the sons of God." That's part of a song I remember singing growing up. How true it is!!

So....those are just a few of the things I'm thankful for. Now, I want to challenge each of you who reads this -- think of one "good" thing you are thankful for and one "bad" thing you are thankful for. I'd love to see everyone post here....please!!

4 comments:

Juliana said...

Oh, Melissa, pain (especially physical), disappointment, and waiting are some of the hardest things. I am glad you are looking to claim victory. He will bring you through, eventually.

May God bless you on this journey!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a wonderful post. I'm thankful that my family is happy & healthy. The bad thing I'm happy for, is the fact that I can't find a job, so I'm home for my kids and available whenever they need me.

Katherine (beadfreak22) said...

I am thankful for so many things, but I'll try to limit myself here. I am thankful for my family, who loves me unconditionally and brings me great joy. I am thankful for my experience with clinical depression, which led me to pursue an education and career as a psychotherapist.

Karis said...

I am thankful for God's protection on the road each and every day (and for that matter, His protection in all areas of life).

I am thankful for God providing ahead of time financially for the five things (yes, five!) that had to be fixed on our car in the last two weeks. Two trips to the mechanic, lots of time seemingly wasted, and many hundreds of dollars later...God allowed that experience to be a part of our lives.