Friday, June 8, 2007

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

We as Christians are so good at the first two, but what about the last one? This is something the Lord has really been convicting my heart about lately.


I was looking at a Facebook group last night, and the discussion was about different ways some Christian College students replaced explatives in their language. You know, the classic "oh Fudge" instead of using the "other" word. Or how about "Oh Buddah!"?? When you really think about it, how different is this from actually saying the curse word? Sure, we want our lives to exemplify Christ, and most Christians I know would not even THINK about cussing. But isn't "christian cussing" the same thing?

When I'm at work (especially), and frustrated about something, it is so easy for me to use a word that isn't quite right. And I think "well, everyone else does it. It's not BAD". The truth, though is that it's not GOOD, either. In fact, the more I think about it, the more the Lord convicts my heart that this really is just wrong. Matthew 12:34b says "for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh".
So, I challenge you, and myself, the next time you start to say something, stop and really think about it. What kind of testamony do you really want to have?
I don't want to be a fence sitter anymore.
(OK...I hope this has been as challenging to
you as it has to me. Feel free to post a
comment. I'd love to hear wha the
Lord is doing in
Your life, too.)

2 comments:

dawnmercedes said...

Right on Sister! I totally agree with you.

Karis said...

"If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless." This is the verse that came to mind when I read your post. What a convicting subject. Thanks for posting.